Alternative Futures Associates (AFA) is IAF's wholly owned for-profit subsidiary. Created in 1982, AFA works with corporations to apply futures methods to their strategy development. At any time, AFA's clients make up about 10% of the Fortune 100 and include the most admired companies in their industries.
Some of AFA's successes include:
- In a wargame simulation in early 2007, AFA brought together teams from five companies to develop "mock deals" for combining intellectual property and technologies and tested the deals in a scenario describing 2008-2012 in which a President Barack Obama began a healthcare reform process.
- Working with an American corporate leadership team, AFA developed a vision for success with strategies that reversed declining sales and led to their best year of growth ever.
- Working with an electronic information company, AFA led a futures project that convinced the parent company to sell a major portion of their business at peak value, leading to a claim that we made the company a billion dollars.
- Helped a global consultancy establish thought leadership through a series of publications on the future of a client industry that helped them gain entry into Board-level meetings with clients.
- In 1987, provided a European company with a set of scenarios, from which they selected for their planning purposes a scenario in which the Berlin Wall came down, opening new markets in Eastern Europe, and in which a computer infrastructure akin to today's Worldwide Web emerged.